Type 2 diabetes: easily reversible with superior nutrition
Over 25 million people in the United States (about 11% of the adults) have type 2 diabetes, and diabetes accounted for 6.8% of global deaths in adults (age 20-79) in 2010.1,2
Excess weight interferes with insulin’s functions, and is the primary risk factor for developing type 2 diabetes. Therefore the most effective treatment for type 2 diabetes is significant weight loss. However, the primary mode of treatment by physicians today is glucose-lowering medication. These medications give a false sense of security, providing implicit permission to continue the same disease-causing diet and lifestyle that allowed diabetes to develop in the first place. Many of these medications promote weight gain — making the patient more diabetic; most importantly, these medications do not prevent diabetes from progressing and causing complications.
Consequences of Type 2 Diabetes:
- Diabetes is the 7th leading cause of death in the U.S.
- Diabetes doubles the risk of heart attack and stroke — heart attack and stroke account for 84% of diabetes-related deaths.
- Diabetes is the leading cause of blindness in adults, and the leading cause of kidney failure.
- Sixty to 70 percent of diabetics have nervous system damage.1
- Type 2 diabetes increases the risk of cancer, especially colorectal cancers.3
Diabetes can be reversed and its tragic complications can be avoided.
The key to diabetes reversal is superior nutrition and exercise. It may take a little extra effort, but avoiding the tragic complications of diabetes and a premature death is well worth it. My diabetes-reversal diet is vegetable-based with a high nutrient to calorie ratio, containing lots of greens and beans, other non-starchy vegetables, (such as mushrooms, eggplant, tomatoes and onions), raw nuts and seeds, and limited fresh fruit with no sweeteners or white flour products. When diabetics eat in this style, they lose their excess weight — the cause of their diabetes — quickly and easily, reducing or eliminating their need for medications and they also flood the body with disease-protective and healing micronutrients and phytochemicals that aid the body’s recovery and self-repair mechanism.
Hundreds of diabetic individuals who have followed my dietary recommendations are no longer diabetic!
A few examples:
- Charlotte lost half her body weight (133 lbs.) and reversed her diabetes
- Robert lost 200 lbs. and reversed his diabetes.
- Richard was on insulin for 25 years, and was able to stop taking it after just a few weeks of my high-nutrient diet.
Most of these individuals, who have completely reversed their diabetes, have never seen me as a patient. They merely read my book Eat To Live, and then received further encouragement and information as members of DrFuhrman.com.
The most lifespan enhancing diet-style is the most effective treatment of diabetes. Diabetics have the right to know this so they can make fully informed decisions that control their health destiny.
To learn more about reversing type 2 diabetes, and living healthfully with type 1 diabetes, read my new book The End of Diabetes.
1. American Diabetes Association: Diabetes statistics [http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/diabetes-statistics/]
2. International Diabetes Federation: Morbidity and Mortality [http://www.idf.org/diabetesatlas/diabetes-mortality ]
3. He J, Stram DO, Kolonel LN, et al. The association of diabetes with colorectal cancer risk: the Multiethnic Cohort. Br J Cancer 2010;103:120-126.