Hear and be inspired by Dr. Fuhrman as he
speaks about his personal experiences and
why he loves
About Dr. Fuhrman
Joel Fuhrman, M.D. is a board-certified family physician, six-time New York Times bestselling author and internationally recognized expert on nutrition and natural healing, who specializes in preventing and reversing disease through nutritional methods. Dr. Fuhrman coined the term “Nutritarian” to describe his eating style, which is built around a diet of nutrient-dense, plant-rich foods.
For over 25 years, Dr. Fuhrman has shown that it is possible to achieve sustainable weight loss and reverse heart disease, diabetes and many other illnesses using smart nutrition. In his medical practice, and through his books and PBS television specials, he continues to bring this life-saving message to hundreds of thousands of people around the world.
Dr. Fuhrman is the father of Nutritarian eating. His health (longevity) equation, H = N/C, (healthy life expectancy is proportional to lifetime intake of micronutrient diversity and quantity per calorie) has interested scientists the world over. As an advocate of diets rich in a vast array of plant micronutrients per calorie, his ANDI scoring system (featured in Whole Foods Market), has directed millions of consumers to eat an anti-cancer diet-style.
A native of Yonkers, NY, Dr. Fuhrman is a former world-class figure skater, who placed second in the United States National Pairs Championships in 1973 and third in the 1976 World Professional Pairs Skating Championship in Jaca, Spain. Along with his nutritional expertise, Dr. Fuhrman has been involved professionally with sports medical committees, advised professional and Olympic athletes, and has lectured to athletic trainers and world-class athletes for maximizing performance and preventing injury.
Books and Media
In his hundreds of radio and television appearances, including The Dr. Oz Show, The Today Show, Good Morning America, and Live with Kelly and Michael, Dr. Fuhrman has educated millions of people on the long-range benefits of healthy eating. His four hugely successful PBS television shows bring essential nutritional knowledge to homes all across America.
Dr. Fuhrman is the author of six New York Times bestsellers: Eat to Live (Little Brown, 2003); Super Immunity (HarperOne, 2012); The End of Diabetes (HarperOne, 2013); The Eat to Live Cookbook (HarperOne, 2013); The End of Dieting (HarperOne, 2014) and The End of Heart Disease (HarperOne, 2016). To date, he has sold more than three million books.
In addition to his New York Times bestsellers, Dr. Fuhrman has written several other popular books on nutritional science which include: Eat for Health (Gift of Health Press), Disease Proof Your Child (St. Martin's Griffin), Fasting and Eating for Health (St. Martin's Griffin) and the Dr. Fuhrman's Nutritarian Handbook and ANDI Food Scoring Guide (Gift of Health Press).
Awards and Honors
Dr. Fuhrman is the Research Director of the Nutritional Research Foundation. He is also a member of the Dr. Oz Show Medical Advisory Board. He is a graduate of the University of Pennsylvania (Pearlman) School of Medicine (1988) and has received the St. Joseph's Family Practice Resident's Teaching Award for his contribution to the education of residents.
Other Published Works:
Dr. Fuhrman has worked on several scientific journal publications including:
- Fuhrman J, Singer M. Improved Cardiovascular Parameter With a Nutrient-Dense, Plant-Rich Diet-Style: A Patient Survey With Illustrative Cases. American Journal of Lifestyle Medicine. 1559827615611024. October 15, 2015 doi:10.1177/1559827615611024.
- Fuhrman J. Dietary Protocols to Maximize Disease Reversal and Long Term Safety. American Journal of Lifestyle Medicine. May 4, 2015 doi:10.1177/1559827615580971
- Dunaief DM, Fuhrman J, Dunaief JL, Ying G. Glycemic and cardiovascular parameters improved in Type 2 Diabetes with the high nutrient density (HND) diet. Open Journal of Preventive Medicine. 2012 Aug;2(3):364-371
- Fuhrman J, Sarter B, Glaser D, Acocella S. Changing perceptions of hunger on a high nutrient density diet. Nutrition Journal. 2010 Nov 7;9:51
- Fuhrman J, Ferreri DM. Fueling the vegetarian (vegan) athlete. Current Sports Medicine Reports. 2010 Jul-Aug;9(4):233-41
- Sarter BS, Fuhrman J. Effect of a high nutrient density diet on long-term weight loss: a retrospective chart review. Alternative Therapies. 2008;14(3):48-53
- Fuhrman J, Sarter B, Calabro DJ. Brief case reports of medically supervised, water-only fasting associated with remission of autoimmune disease. Alternative Therapies in Health and Medicine. 2002 Jul-Aug;8(4):112, 110-1
- Fuhrman J, Selzer ME, Kaplan FS. A shoulder-facial synkinesis in normal human subjects. University of Pennsylvania Orthopaedic Journal. 1991;7:43-45
Dr. Fuhrman established a unique practice that specializes in treating a variety of medical problems with lifestyle changes and nutrition. The doctors at Dr. Fuhrman Medical Associates have experience with the variety and complexity of problems that can present in a family medicine office. They also have experience and have demonstrated success helping patients achieve overall health and wellness rather than merely trying to manage the symptoms of their diseases.
Dr. Jay Benson, D.O., is the patient care director at Dr. Fuhrman Medical Associates. He has developed a core competency in the early detection and treatment of cardiovascular diseases via state-of-the-art, noninvasive, painless testing methods that are free of radiation and more accurate than angiograms and other traditional tests at predicting future heart attack or stroke. The earlier cardiovascular disease can be detected, the easier it can be reversed. The doctors at Dr. Fuhrman Medical Associates not only utilize an effective nutritional protocol on patients with cardiovascular disease but they document it's effectiveness using these same testing methods to track improvements over time.
In addition to treating cardiovascular disease, thousands of patients treated at Dr. Fuhrman Medical Associates have made remarkable recoveries from other chronic diseases, including:
||• Autoimmune Disease
||• Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
Patients with diabetes that come to the Center are able to reduce their use of medication or even eliminate their dependence on them completely. Patients with high blood pressure are able to see their blood pressure readings normalize typically over just a few weeks time. Most patients notice a dramatic change in their cholesterol levels after having a consult and following the dietary protocol. Unique treatment protocols for specific diseases, which stem from the many years of research, are prescribed and are based on the relationship between food and disease. By taking an evidence-based approach to the treatment of disease and applying the years of research to focused lifestyle changes, patients are able to recover from diseases that had been difficult to treat beforehand.
More about Dr. Fuhrman Medical Associates