Successful People Aren't Born that Way
“Successful people aren’t born that way. They become successful by establishing the habit of doing things unsuccessful people don’t like to do. The successful people don’t always like these things themselves; they just get on and do them.”
– author unknown
For over three years I’ve interviewed those who’ve been successful at getting their health back through nutritarian eating. As an interviewer I get the unique opportunity to hear the “rest-of-the-story” that often doesn’t make it to our success stories. I’ve discovered a few common threads among all of them; in fact, not just their stories, but also those from the member center of DrFuhrman.com who’ve also successfully earned health back. The following are a few commonalities:
- Each successful nutritarian made time to thoroughly study and understand the science behind Dr. Fuhrman’s nutritional recommendations in his books, teleconferences, TV programs, and articles. That was a given.
- Success had nothing to do with their economic status, nationality, education, social standing, professional training or career choice. It had nothing to do with past childhood memories or dysfunctions or lack thereof. And it had nothing to do with religious backgrounds or affiliations. A key component to their success was their mindsets; what they understood and believed to be true, and then acting upon that truth. They no longer accepted the belief system of the status quo; the moderation myth from physicians, counselors, influential leaders, friends. co-workers, or relatives that eating for health was extreme, or that “just one bite won’t hurt.” Instead, they understood that bypass surgery, paralysis from strokes, cancers, leg amputations, and a myriad of other diseases were totally preventable and extreme. They no longer felt sorry for themselves, or allowed others to feel sorry for them for choosing health over disease. And thus, as their minds were changed, their bodies transformed as a result.
- They each had a desperate tenacity to hold fast to earning health back, no matter what. This steadfast resolve caused them to do things that weren’t necessarily pleasant and easy at the time, but they did it anyway. For instance, Scott, who lost 333 lbs, started riding a bike at 501 lbs. He lived in Minnesota and that first winter he rode in minus 43 degree weather. No excuses. Isabel, a die-hard people pleaser, was sick of being depressed, tired, and ashamed to be seen in public due to obesity. She finally got desperate enough and chose to put her health before pleasing others; regardless of what anyone thought. No excuses.
“Once the determined individual has made up their mind and fully committed to let nothing stand in their way, they can break off the chains of addiction. It only takes that one firm decision to make it work, no matter how difficult it may be in the beginning. The problem is compounded when people have a hundred excuses to feel sorry for themselves. They revel in their own misery and feel special for their suffering.”
– Dr. Fuhrman
- For everyone, there was a steadfast determination to cross over the threshold of unhealthy food cravings; all had to overcome this hurdle. However, as the cravings for unhealthy foods decreased and taste buds changed, the natural desire for nutrient rich foods took precedence over low nutrient foods. They no longer felt deprived, and as a result, eating actually became more enjoyable and pleasurable than before. Most everyone expressed a whole new world opened up to them of what they “could” eat instead of the traditional, restrictive dieting mentality of what they “couldn’t” eat. This freedom created a momentum for continual success.
- One member of Dr. Fuhrman’s member center, who has now been a nutritarian for several years stated, “Unhealthy food eventually became unappealing, unappetizing and ‘un-tasty’.” Laurie, who is now free from yo-yo dieting and MS flare-ups, resolved in her heart to never cheat on the Eat to Live plan because she was desperate to be medication free. Now, nutritarian eating is a way of life for her, and she actually feels sorry for those who don’t eat high-nutrient foods.
- Most importantly, as everyone experienced significant improvements in their health and energy levels, it motivated and exponentially increased their confidence to keep going. Many described it as feeling tremendous, youthful and vibrant. Some, like me, were so malnourished and miserable that we noticed the improvements immediately. Others had to make it through rough withdrawal symptoms first, but everyone eventually got to the point of feeling energetic and well for the first time in his/her life. This “feel good” attitude has propelled all of us to maintain this excellent health for life! There’s no turning back.
- Easy-to-follow plan
- Simple, flexible, and adaptable to your food preferences & dietary needs
- Motivational and solutions-based to break free from obstacles—so there are no excuses
- Menus and tips for those who are too busy to cook
- 76 nutritious, easy-to-prepare recipes with time saving suggestions for store-bought foods
- Gradual transition plan
- More flexible menu options
- Customize to your needs
- Self-paced progression
- Menu suggestions with adaptable meal plans
- 150 incredible healthful recipes of all types