- Healthy essential fatty acid
- 100% Vegan (derived from micro algae)
- Purified liquid concentrate
- Pleasant citrus flavor - Easily hidden in food and drink
- Great for all ages
- Important for nursing and pregnant women
- A few drops deliver a daily dose of essential Omega-3 fatty acids
- Easily hidden in foods and drink
- No environmental contaminants
- Awarded pharmaceutical grade certification (GMP). Third party certified for purity and freshness.
- Improves your child’s intelligence
- Aids depression and Attention Deficit Disorder
- Improves memory
- Important for brain and eye development
- Promotes smoother skin; prevents wrinkles
- Helps prevent heart disease and arthritis
- Lowers risk of Alzheimer’s and senior dementia
- Lowers “bad” cholesterol
With an assortment of fish oils (containing DHA) and algae-derived DHA products on the market, informed consumers recognize these important fatty acids as valuable supplements. Why make another brand? The reason is in the product: Dr. Fuhrman's DHA Purity is unique. This vegetable-derived formula was developed to maximize purity and freshness and is entirely vegan.
DHA from fish is well established by science to have important health benefits. Fish, however, is an unfavorable source because most fatty fish contain potentially harmful pollutants, such as dioxin and mercury. People also report difficulty digesting these beneficial oils because of the fishy taste and foul odor. The bad taste, indigestion, or burping from these oils don't feel healthy.
Dr. Fuhrman explains:
Moving to a vegetable-derived DHA, rather than a fish derived product, was the first step to address this issue. In our research, we conducted independent laboratory tests on the fish oils in current products to test for stability and rancidity and found them lacking in freshness. The algae oil DHA products scored better, but still it did not reach the high standards that Dr. Fuhrman desired. To assure optimal health, he wanted to offer a product for his patients, friends and family that would meet exceptionally high standards for freshness and purity.
After extensive research, we found a solution. We buy the highest quality most concentrated form of DHA, package them in dark glass (not plastic) and then keep the bottles refrigerated to maintain freshness. You can stop holding your nose trying to swallow fishy oil, and put an end to the burping up that vile aftertaste. You simply can’t get a better tasting, fresher DHA anywhere!
Dr. Fuhrman’s DHA Purity is a natural vegetarian source of DHA an extremely high caliber micro algae and is produced under strict manufacturing conditions to assure purity. The dark glass (not plastic) and refrigeration ensures the freshness of the product. The bottle comes with a graduated dropper for your convenience.
DHA and your brain:
Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) is an omega-3 long chain polyunsaturated fatty acid and one of the crucial building blocks of human brain tissue. Early in life, DHA is supplied via the placenta and from breast milk. Adequate DHA is particularly important for pregnant and nursing women. Studies have shown improved intelligence scores of breast fed children whose mothers took DHA supplements during pregnancy and nursing.1 The DHA levels in the breast milk from women in the United States are among the lowest in the world. DHA deficiencies starting in childhood can contribute to multiple problems later in life, such as hyperactivity and allergies. In fact, dyslexia and ADHD have been linked to the low DHA intake common in the United States.2 An adequate level of DHA has been found to improve behavior and symptoms of ADHD.3,4
Deficiencies of DHA may increase vulnerability to depression and may be responsible for most post partum depression after the baby's needs extract DHA from the mother's stores. DHA supplementation is indicated in anyone with a history of depression.
Alzheimer's sufferers have also been found to have lower DHA levels than healthy adults of the same age. Maintaining adequate DHA stores throughout life, as well as eating a diet rich in natural plant foods, is necessary for preventing the late life occurrence of these mental deficits associated with aging.
DHA and heart disease
Algae derived DHA was found in recent studies to increase the HDL/LDL ratio and decrease the total cholesterol/HDL ratio as well as lower triglycerides.5 DHA also increases the elasticity of the blood vessels and reduces total vascular resistance resulting in a lower pulse pressure that has significant effects at lessening the occurrence of cardiovascular events, such as heart attacks and strokes.6 It also has an anti-arrhythmic effect reducing the overall rate of fatal heart attacks.7
DHA in vegetarians
The typical modern diet is low in DHA for both omnivores and vegetarians alike. Most people eat a diet rich in Omega-6 fats, but deficient in Omega-3. Vegetarian and those who limit their intake of fish, wild meat, and eggs have especially been noted to have low levels of DHA. Many vegetarians who consume sufficient flax, hemp, walnuts and greens as a source of short chain Omega-3 fat may manufacture sufficient DHA fat on their own, but even with an ideal diet, lots of those on vegan diets are still found to be too low in this extremely beneficial compound.8
Dr. Fuhrman has often tested these levels in his patients and observed how frequently deficiencies of these fatty acids exist. Lower levels of DHA are the reason populations eating some fish are found to have improved cardiac blood parameters when compared to vegetarians, and it is the most common reason why some vegetarians may develop dry skin or other signs of imperfect health.9
Storage and Shipping
In addition, Dr. Fuhrman has tested all the other DHA products on the market and found them to be shockingly high in rancidity scores, causing burping, indigestion and a foul taste. Consuming rotten oil is not healthful! Compared to other brands, Dr. Fuhrman’s DHA Purity is kept refrigerated at all times, so that the oil does not become rancid or oxidized. It is packaged in dark glass bottles, shipped in refrigerated trucks and stored under refrigeration until it is shipped. It may take months for DHA to deteriorate and become rancid, outside of a refrigerator, but it is important to purchase a product that begins fresh and without oxidation. You will certainly taste the freshness DHA Purity when it hits your tongue. Nobody should be using capsules, which hide the taste of rotten oil!
Read more about DHA and essential fatty acids in these articles:
- DHA benefits nervous system function, cardiovascular health, and more
- Healthy Omega-3 Fatty Acids
- What Vegans may be Missing - DHA
- Chewing the Fat on Fatty Acids and Fish Oils
Serving Size: 0.5 ml
Servings Per Container: 60
Amount Per Serving
| Calories From Fat
|Docoshexanoic acid (DHA)
|* Daily Value (DV) not established.
Ingredients: Algae oil, natural flavor, antioxidant blend
(rosemary extract, tocopherols derived from soy, ascorbyl palmitata)
Best refrigerated after opening.
|children under 7
|children over 7 and adults
- Helland IB, Smith L, Saarem K, et al. Maternal supplementation with very-long-chain n-3 fatty acids during pregnancy and lactation augments children's IQ at 4 years of age. Pediatrics 2003;111(1):e39-40.
- Horrocks LA, Yeo YK. Health benefits of docosahexaenoic acid (DHA). Pharmacol Res 1999;40(3):211-225.
- Stevens, L, et al. Essential fatty acid metabolism in boys with attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder. Am J Clin Nutr. 1995;62(4):761-768.
- Horrocks LA; Yeo YK. Health benefits of docosahexaenoic acid (DHA). Pharmacol Res 1999 Sep;40(3):211-225. Haag M Essential fatty acids and the brain Can J Psychiatry 2003;48(3):195-203. Richardson AJ; Puri BK The potential role of fatty acids in attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder. Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids 2000;63(1-2):79-87. Richardso AJ; Puri BK A randomized double-blind, placebo-controlled study of the effects of supplementation with highly unsaturated fatty acids on ADHD-related symptoms in children with specific learning difficulties. Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 2002;26(2):233-239.
- Conquer JA. Supplementation with an algae source of docosahexaenoic acid increases (n-3) fatty acid status and alters selected risk factor for heart disease in vegetarian subjects. J Nutr 1996;126(12):3032-3039.
- Nestel P, Shige H, Pomeroy S, et al. The n-3 fatty acids eicosapentaenoic acid and docosahexaenoic acid increase systemic arterial compliance in humans. Am J Clin Nutr 2002;76(2):326-330.
- Lemaitre RN?, King IB, Mozaffarian D, et al. N-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids, fatal ischemic heart disease and nonfatal myocardial infarction in older adults: the Cardiovascular Health Study. Am J Clin Nutr 2003;77(2): 319-325.
- Davis BC, Kris-Etherton PM. Achieving optimal essential fatty acid status in vegetarians: Current knowledge and practical implications. Am J Clin Nutr 2003;78(3):640S-646/S.
- Pauleto P, Puato M, Caroli G, et al. Blood pressure and atherogenic lipoprotein profiles of fish-diet and vegetarian villagers in Tanznaia: the Lugaiawa Study. Lancet 1996;348:784-788.